September 25, 2014
Dear WACYCP Certified Member:
It is a historic and exciting time in WACYCP history. The WACYCP has been certifying Child and Youth Care Professionals for the past 33 years (since 1981). We have certified thousands of competent, professional youth care professionals in a variety of practice settings. It has become a main focus of our organization and we are proud that you are currently among the certified in WI.
WACYCP is excited to announce that as of January 1st, 2015, we will be expanding benefits and recognition to people certified by WACYCP through collaboration with the Child and Youth Care Certification Institute (CYC Institute) and the Child and Youth Care Certification Board (CYCCB). These organizations offer Entry, Associate and Professional Certification Levels that align well with the existing WACYCP two-level certification program and are widely recognized throughout the United States and Canada. Participating in this nationally linked system will expand recognition of your certification across practice settings (residential, after school, foster care, mental health, public education, juvenile justice, recreation, disabilities, etc.) and regional areas. Between now and January, WACYCP will be working with the CYC Institute and CYCCB to January to assign you to a certification level within their system. Beginning in January your certification designation will be changing to CYC (Entry), CYC-A (Associate), or CYC-P (Professional).
Only practitioners who are CURRENTLY CERTIFIED and renewed in the WACYCP certification program will qualify to move into the new certification system. If you are not currently up-to-date on your renewal it is VITAL that you address this before January 1, 2015 when the new system goes into effect.
What does this mean for currently certified WACYCP members?
- You can still renew your WACYCP Certification between now and December 31st, 2014 under the current WACYCP system (recert applications available at wacycp.org).
- Shortly after Jan 1st, 2015, you will receive a letter from the WACYCP stating what level you are assigned in the “new” system. You will not have to complete a new application or take the certification exam.
- Renewal requirements will change in 2015 to match the new system’s requirements.
- After Jan 1st, 2015, all renewals and new certifications will be handled through the CYC Institute (CYCcertification.org) .
- Anyone who is not transitioned into the new system will need to reapply and meet requirements for certification in the new system. For more information on certification requirements visit CYCcertification.org .
We are following in the footsteps of many other State CYC Organizations who recognize the CYC Institute and CYCCB professional certifications to be superior to any other certification systems for Child and Youth Care Professionals. We are proud to partner with them to increase benefits and recognition to our members.
Please contact us with any questions, and if you need anything else to complete your current renewal, please don’t hesitate to contact our office.
WACYCP Board of Directors